If you are currently planning a vintage wedding, or looking for wedding inspiration we suspect you will be quite familiar with handmade and vintage marketplace Etsy. Selling products from around the world it is a wonderful collection of bespoke items you just won’t find anywhere else, the hardest part is making a choice! Todays Etsy selection is five cake toppers to make your wedding cake look amazing.
A simple wire cake topper is a lovely way to top off your wedding cake with a unique statement. It will also be a wonderful keepsake as a reminder of your special day. The topper is handcrafted in 2mm aluminium wire and made individually so there may be slight variations from the pictures displayed – a true one off!
How cute are these personalised wooden bride and groom? These hand-painted wooden wedding cake toppers can have a favourite pet or special person like a page boy or bridesmaid added too. Just give the artist a photo and she will work her magic! Plus they are a great little keepsake for after the wedding.
Give your wedding cake (or cheeses) the love they deserve by adding this lovely vintage look “Just Married” mini bunting. The cake bunting comes complete with two sticks and each letter is printed in white – each tiny triangular cotton bunting even has cute white stitching along the edge. Lovely for a summer wedding.
How about a beautiful butterfly wreath cake topper, personalised with the happy couple’s surname? A lovely finishing touch to a special cake, available in three different sizes and lots of colours and can be made in acrylic or wood to suit all cake styles. Simple and very effective.
If you are having a simple white cake (or buying ready made tiers) a beautiful piece of sugar-craft can make all the difference. These flowers are hand-made and consist of sugar paste, wire and edible colouring. There are also ultra realistic Roses and Peonies to choose from. Absolutely stunning.
Our 5 Etsy buying tips –
- Be clever with your search options. Use specific colour and shape descriptions as keywords. So instead of just searching for ‘pink dress’, search for cerise dress, fuchsia dress, pastel dress, blush dress, coral dress etc. Search every day as people list all the time and you don’t want to miss out on the perfect item because you didn’t find it in time.
- Consider the location of your seller. You can buy globally on Etsy but factor in timescales, postage costs, customs charges and language differences.
- Use Paypal. This will protect both you and the seller and provide you with extra protection in case of a problem.
- Request samples. This one is particularly key if you’re thinking about co-ordinating lots of different products together, as colours can vary widely and photographs aren’t always accurate. Most sellers should be open to sending you small samples, especially if you’re willing to pay postage or a small fee.
- Read the feedback and askabout the return policy. Check out what other shoppers have said as comments and reviews are a great sources of information. When you’re buying products sight unseen, there should always be an easy return or exchange option. Check out the seller’s return policy, and if it’s not on the site, feel free to ask about it.
Are you going to be a vintage bride soon? Come visit one of our upcoming vintage wedding fairs in Cambridge on 14th September, Harrogate on 21st September, or in Stoke Newington, London on 12th October or Chiswick, London on 9th November and find everything you need for your big day. For more details check the website – www.vintageweddingfair.co.uk.
Written by Sarah Gorlov.