Whether you’re reading this while planning your wedding or are already married, knowing the secrets to make it work for a lifetime is gold, right? Today is Valentine’s Day so we thought what better way to celebrate love than to seek the answer for you. We have teamed up with Bupa Care Homes who have spoken to three couples who live at Ashley House in Gloucestershire to find out their secrets – they have 200 years of happy marriage behind them!
First, let’s meet them…
99-year-old Jack Priestly and his wife Grace (98) have been married 74 years and met in Plymouth when Jack was serving in the navy. “For Grace and I, our love has blossomed throughout our 74 years together. We have found that being tolerant and understanding and finding the humour in any situation, are wonderful ways to keep your love burning bright,” shares Jack. They put finding the love of your life down to fate and will be celebrating Valentine’s Day with a movie night at the home.
61 years after their wedding day, Vivienne Robbins (87) has shared her advice for couples wanting to go the distance. She comments: “Make sure you always talk things through together and really try to understand your partner and be patient with them. That, alongside always being loyal, is a great foundation for love.” She’s planning to celebrate Valentine’s Day at the home with her husband Gerald, 88. The happy couple – who say it was love at first sight – say their happiest memories shared together are of the safe arrival of their two daughters.
Ron and Joyce Kelsey – both aged 79 – are another couple celebrating Valentine’s Day live together at Ashley House. Having first met at school when they were 13, they have now been married for 57 years. Their best memories are getting married and being blessed with 3 children, and now 9 grandchildren! Ron commented: “It was love at first sight for me. As soon as I saw Joyce, I knew she was the love of my life and that I had to ask her out. 57 years later and I am so glad I did!”
Joyce has shared her secret to long-lasting love with Ron: “Try to make sure you never go to bed angry with each other. Ron and I always give each other a good night kiss to show that, no matter what little disagreement might have occurred, we always love each other.”
Here is more of their advice:
- Be honest, take your vows seriously and love each other for the rest of your lives
- To always look after each other
- Always spend time together
- Tell your partner how you feel – let them know you love them and appreciate everything they do
- Sing, cuddle, listen and talk to your partner!
- Tolerance, humour, understanding and sharing
- Don’t look for a partner; they’ll come to you
- Make every day a happy one
- Give and let give
- Never go to bed angry with one another
- Always give each other a good night’s kiss
- Try to understand your partner and be patient with them
- Be loyal – it’s a great foundation for love
- Find the humour in any situation – it’ll keep your love burning bright
Thanks to Bupa for sharing this with us! We will all take this advice!